We're forward-thinking technology people with heart. We make our own rules, drive our own opportunities, and try to approach every challenge with fresh eyes. Of course, we can't do it alone. We know when to ask for help, collaborate with others, and partner with smart people. We embrace diversity and openness because it's in our DNA. We push limits and reward great ideas. What is your great idea?
As a Senior Security and Cloud Engineer you are part of a team that is responsible for ensuring the security of NetApp's engineering systems and the overall security posture of NetApp engineering projects utilizing on-premises and multiple public cloud resources. Public cloud resources include, but are not limited to, those in AWS, Azure, GCP, and IBM. Responsibilities will include recommending security technologies and methods to help maintain a secure environment, building automation for policy implementation and enforcement, and providing escalated troubleshooting and guidance to operations staff . In your role you will work closely with NetApp IT security team members, other architects and engineers making recommendations for improving our security posture; provide analysis, incident recognition, and work to prevent failures or compromises through continual system improvement thru education, automation and tooling; and actively mentor and support other team members.
As a Security and Cloud Engineer you will:
- Identify and quantify skills, process, and tools gaps for on-premises and cloud environments. Document gaps and define recommendations for gap closures.
- Identify security gaps in the organization and communicate these to appropriate personnel in recommendations.
- Assist with forensics research/incidence response.
- Assist with the auditing of security and operational configurations to include system vulnerabilities
- Proactively monitor security incoming alerts.
- Provide customers, team members, and management with RCA and project feedback.
- Recommend process improvements and educational programs/trainings.
- Regularly author troubleshooting guides, acceptance procedures, and upgrade procedures; recommend improvements to existing documentation.
- Provide technology solutions input and recommendations to address technology issues.
- Technology solution input and recommendations.
- Manage small to medium sized projects.
- Recommend operational process changes to increase efficiencies and update operational systems.
- Troubleshoot escalated, extended, or recurring issues.
- Provide proactive care and maintenance, change control, and device tuning.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Project management skills.
- As a subject matter expert, work with other Engineering team members to support ongoing and long-term initiatives and projects.
- Strong understanding of documentation procedures for systems, changes and desk level procedures.
- Solid operational knowledge of common security technologies (e.g. ACLs, Firewall, IDS/IDP, VPN, proxies, certificates, SIEM, load filtering, etc.); and advanced support and complex change configuration ability in at least one security technologies; competent at intermediate change configurations in more than one security technologies.
- Operational knowledge of common protocols used in datacenters like: DHCP, DNS, HTTP/HTTPS, SSH, SMTP, and SYSLOG. Basic understanding of common protocols used in datacenters like: CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, and FCoE.
- Ability to perform basic packet captures and perform traffic analysis.
- Operational experience with multiple security technologies that can affect change management, security management, audit and control, encryptions, etc.
- Administrative experience in multiple versions of operating systems such as Windows, Solaris, BSD, Linux, SCO, HPUX, etc.
- Basic understanding of various routing protocols and subnetting
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages such as python.
- Basic knowledge of system configuration toolings such as SCOM, ansible, puppet, etc.
- Operational knowledge of cloud native security services and a basic understanding of cloud auditing tools
- Basic understanding of containers and container orchestration
- Operational understanding of system patch management tooling (i.e. WSUS, yum, apt)
- Demonstrated technical writing skills required for documentation, troubleshooting guides, acceptance procedures, upgrade procedures, and process.
- Ability to follow documented daily procedures and policies; monitoring tools and response guidelines, escalation and notification processes; and Trouble/Ticket management processes and guidelines.
- Basic understanding of cryptographic hashes and ciphers.
- The tasks this individual is responsible are often unstructured and the issues addressed are less defined requiring new perspectives and creative approaches.
- This individual will apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving problems that are complex in scope requiring in-depth evaluation.
- Demonstrate good judgment in solving problems as well as identifying problems in advance with potential solutions.
- This individual must work effectively with Staff to Vice President level employees within the function, across functions and with external parties.
- Limited supervision and direction is provided, as this individual can operate and drive results and set priorities independently.
- The ideal candidate will be a proactive contributor and subject matter expert.
- To be successful, this individual must demonstrate favorable results through regular leadership and influencing others.
Education & Experience:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience is required; 9 to 11 years of experience is preferred.
- A Bachelor of Arts or Sciences Degree is required, or equivalent experience. A Graduate Degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, complex technical projects.
- Experience with Cisco and Palo Alto Networks security products preferred.
- Certifications in PCNSE, CISSP, CCSP, CISA, GSEC, CCIE, CCNP, or others are preferred.
Did you know...
Statistics show women apply to jobs only when they're 100% qualified. But no one is 100% qualified. We encourage you to shift the trend and apply anyway! We look forward to hearing from you.
In a world full of generalists, NetApp is a specialist. No one knows how to elevate the world's biggest clouds like NetApp. We are data-driven and empowered to innovate. Trust, integrity, and teamwork all combine to make a difference for our customers, partners, and communities.
We expect a healthy work-life balance. Our volunteer time off program is best in class, offering employees 40 hours of paid time off per year to volunteer with their favorite organizations. We provide comprehensive medical, dental, wellness, and vision plans for you and your family. We offer educational assistance, legal services, and access to discounts. We also offer financial savings programs to help you plan for your future.
If you run toward knowledge and problem-solving, join us.
U.S. Residents Only: As a U.S. federal contractor, in accordance with President Biden's recent Executive Order for U.S. federal contractors, all U.S. employees of NetApp must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if they work at a Company location or remotely. If there is a medical or religious reason preventing you from receiving the COVID-19 vaccination, you must request and be approved for one of the legally acceptable exemptions.
Nearest Major Market: Durham
Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh
Job Segment: Cloud, Technical Writer, Software Engineer, Engineer, Technology, Engineering, Research