The School District of Beloit proudly serves thirteen schools and over 7,000 students. Now more than ever, it is necessary for our community's institutions and organizations to commit to being anti-racist. At the School District of Beloit (SDB), we are proud of the diversity within our organization and we acknowledge the challenges and adversity that so many of our families of color are facing. We are always committed to supporting our students, families, and staff. The Board of Education and district leaders stand against all forms of systemic and institutional racism. As an organization, we are deeply invested in our support for all of the stakeholders we are honored to serve in the Beloit community. We believe we are stronger together. What We Do
We are fully committed to the daily practices of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We model and demonstrate these practices by honoring and respecting our human differences, removing barriers and providing support for individuals to achieve their greatest potential, and ensuring each and everyone belongs. Our vision is clear: to prepare and inspire each student to succeed in life and to contribute to an ever-changing world. Our mission as an organization is to remain steadfastly committed to excellence and strengthened and enriched by diversity as we, together, prepare each student to compete, contribute, and thrive as an admirable person in a rapidly changing world, We breathe life into our mission by engaging students in a wide variety of high quality, relevant programs in partnership with families, schools, and the Stateline community. What You'll Do
The leader in this integral position will administer and provide oversight to all business and operational priorities in an effort to provide the best possible educational services based on the financial resources available. The impact of this body of work is dynamic, as the Executive Director (ED) of Business Services will direct and coordinate broad administrative activities of the School District of Beloit having as their purpose the planning, development, and implementation of policies, programs, and practices in support of the Financial Services, Budget and Management, Purchasing, Technology Services, Building Services, Risk Management, Transportation and Food Services functions of the School District of Beloit. The ED will collaborate directly with the Superintendent of Schools and the Board of Education through districtwide planning, direction, program initiatives, benchmarking, and continuous improvement in all areas of responsibility. Support for all aspects of the areas of responsibility will be managed consistently and purposefully through the system, ensuring that protocols and best practices are the foundation for sustained excellence.RequirementsWhat You'll Own
In order to ensure effective, efficient, and clear operations management and organizational functionality, the Executive Director of Business Services will focus on the following areas of responsibility: Financial Planning, Budget Management & Financial Services
Insurance & Risk Management
- Works with District Administrator to develop a budget calendar, prepare and oversee annual District budget, assuring sufficient cash is available to meet district financial obligations regarding the availability of financial resources and service as needed.
- Develops long-range capital budgets and advises the Superintendent of Schools and the Board of Education on budget decisions' short-term and long-term fiscal implications. Forecasts the internal and external influences on the budget with solid rationale while developing a financial model to monitor the District's financial health.
- Presents budget at Annual Meeting, prepares reports to the Superintendent and Board of Education concerning the status of all District budget accounts, per all legal requirements for budget adoption.
- Uses multiple approaches to determine reliable enrollment and personnel projections, developing multi-year budgets forecasts available to all stakeholders using the analysis of comparable data and state allocations.
Purchasing & Materials Management
- Ensures that a comprehensive risk management program is in place that addresses safety and security, continuously assessing risk management programs and recommending changes consistent with district needs.
- Directs the process of selecting/employing an insurance consultant or risk manager and establishing procedures to monitor claims and injuries.
- Adheres to legal requirements for insurance coverage and administers the District's property and casualty insurance program, including maintenance of the District's property and liability, fleet, loss, errors and omissions, unemployment, workers' compensation, and student accident insurance.
- Determines risk management needs of the District, including employing an insurance consultant to assist the District in risk management needs, maintaining and updating the implementation of a districtwide safety program.
- Assesses current insurance coverage and recommends any changes consistent with district needs, filing insurance claims when appropriate.
Cash Management, Investments & Debt Management
- Develops and implements an integrated purchasing process that complies with all government regulations and adheres to a strict code of purchasing and procurement ethics. Administers the District purchasing program to assure materials are ordered, placed in service, and paid for following Board policy (e.g., requisitions, purchase orders, etc.).
- Develops and implements a program for the effective current and long-range acquisition, maintenance, repair of equipment, preparing and supervising the preparation of bids and specifications as needed.
- Develops and implements a system for the proper valuation, classification, and depreciation of fixed assets and develops and implements a system to control and account for capital assets adequately.
- Administers District's investment program, administering short-term and long-term debt, under board and state/federal regulations.
- Collaborates with the Superintendent to recommend professional advisors/contractors such as bond counsel, rating agencies, financial advisors, and underwriters.
- Develops and recommends investment policies to include investment objectives such as maximizing investment income and preserving the investment principal, including developing specifications for the selection of banking and other financial services.
- Applies various cash forecasting methods and uses appropriate types of short-term debt financing instruments available to school districts.
- Analyzes the legal constraints and methods of issuing long-term general obligation bonds, including the bond rating process and the role of the bonding attorney and rating services
- Analyzes the implications of arbitrage rules that may apply to the issuance of long-term general obligation bonds; provide for arbitrage payable when appropriate
- Prepares a cash flow analysis, including a fund balance report, for the Board of Education.
- Monitors the student transportation program for its safety, security, and efficiency and adjusts as needed, ensuring a comprehensive plan is in place that includes an analysis of what transportation requirements are and the basic features of a system to provide pupil transportation. Adheres to all legal requirements and adjusts as needed.
- Develops and maintains open and transparent lines of communication with parents, staff, administration, state/provincial legislatures, and the public for conveying the responsibilities, needs, and expectations of all stakeholders.
- Administers and monitors student transportation programs ensuring (where appropriate) an efficient and comprehensive routing system is developed and maintained.
- Supervises and manages outsourced IT department; develops and maintains technology plan.
Facilities Operations & Management
- Administers and monitors Food Services operations and adjusts as needed. Establish procedures for the implementation and operation of the Food Services program, adhere to the legal requirements, including local and national government guidelines of the Food Services program and ensures the management systems for tracking meals and inventories are in place and identify participant status.
- Ensures compliance with required nutritional value is in place, analyzes the methods available for providing food Services and identifies and recommends the most beneficial strategies for a given situation.
- Interfaces with nutrition and regulatory agencies relative to planning, conduct, and reporting of catering services programs within the school.
- Ensures adequate cash handling procedures and internal controls and management and controls inventories and procurement.
What Skills You'll Need to be Successful Champion for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Supervises and manages all facility-related matters of the District, including Facilities Planning, Construction & Management in collaboration with the Facilities Director.
- Manages printing /copying operations as appropriate.
- Maintains textbook inventories as required by state law, when applicable.
In support of the district's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, you openly acknowledge systemic racism, power..... click apply for full job details