Full-time, part-time and flexible working patterns available
Can you write code for microcontrollers? Read an electronic circuit schematic?
Keen to build your skills and develop your career in engineering?
Would you like to use your time towards innovation and research?
You'll bring your technical knowledge and ideas to create and maintain software for specialist devices, to meet the needs of customers at home and overseas.
On the job training is provided, and a portion of your time will be dedicated to innovation and research.
Joining one of our product development teams, you'll work on hardware products and solutions to protect national security. You may not know all the details yet, but with guidance and support you'll soon be up to speed.
You'll have the opportunity to be involved with many different projects, one day you could be producing code to introduce new features to a product, the next you could be collaborating with a team on designing the next set of products.
We need you to already:
- Be able to design, develop and test embedded software in C or C++.
- Be able to understand electronic designs, particularly for digital logic and microcontroller circuits.
- Be able to develop embedded software to run in either an RTOS, Linux or bare metal environment.
- Be familiar with debugging embedded software using laboratory test equipment.
The following are desirable and would strengthen your application:
- Relevant work experience, equivalent to/ or, a 2:1 or greater relevant Degree.
- Experience in real-time software or digital signal processing.
- Ability to understand and debug other's software (and your own!).
- Knowledge of Networking and Communications (e.g. TCP/IP, HTTP, Protocol Buffers, application of encryption and compression).
- Experience of Unit Testing and Static Analysis.
- Knowledge of microcontroller architectures, especially ARM.
Your personal skills
You will be the type of person who:
- Is keen to learn and continually improve both technical and non-technical skills.
- Is enthused by working with other capable engineers, combining your collective knowledge to produce better results.
- Likes seeing things through to the end. You have the drive and commitment to finish projects to a high standard.
- Enjoys the challenge of thinking of innovative solutions to hard problems. You are not constrained by convention.
- Can manage your own workload and adapts to changing demands on your time.
- Puts plans in place to make improvements.
- Works with customers to clearly understand their desired outcomes and expectations.
Putting your skills to use
You'll have the opportunity to get involved in the full process. You'll use your skills and experience to create a wide range of components whilst working with a variety of customers and design engineers. You can be creative, working in your own way towards delivery. All we ask for in return is that you have a willingness to learn.
Using your diverse range of skills, you will:
- Design, develop and document embedded software to the highest standards.
- Verify designs by creating and implementing functional tests and performing code reviews.
- Support products and investigate reported defects.
- Contribute to project planning and meetings.
What we offer
Now that we've explained a bit about what you will we be doing, here's what we can offer you:
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 30 after 5 years' service.
- 2 additional days leave (set dates through the year).
- Paid overtime or Time Off In Lieu. Your salary is for your contracted hours. If you work more, and sometimes it's needed, we believe you should be rewarded for that.
- Lots and lots of training. This can be anything from a day internal course to a distant learning degree. If it's relevant to your career, we will aim to support you.
- Our Pension scheme is Alpha. It's competitive.
- Sports & Social Society. Whether its classic cars or baking, golf or crafting, we have a society for you.
- On site nursery (subject to availability).
- 3 days paid leave a year to support a registered charity of your choice.
- Free parking.
- Free onsite gym, open 24 hours a day.
- Relocation Package .
- Affinity Groups - whether you are disabled, LGBTQ+ and/or from an Ethnic Minority. We provide an inclusive environment and support for everyone.