WSCC operate a range of home to school and adults services transport routes across the County.
Our aim at WSCC is to provide a reliable and safe transport service to our residents ensuring consistency for all passengers and service users.
For more information about West Sussex County Council, please visit our WSCC About Us page.
About The Job
We are looking for Passenger Assistants to join our School Transport team based across the county.
Salary Range: £10.76 - £10.97 per hour (includes annual leave element).
Work Location: Broad Bridge Heath Depot, Horsham and Clapham Depot (near Worthing), Drayton Depot (near Chichester).
Hours per week: Casual hours (Split Shift: 7am -10am / 2pm - 5pm).
We will review applications on a rolling basis therefore, you will be contacted within 2 weeks of your application.
As a Passenger Assistant you will travel to and from schools and other venues, in minibuses, cars and taxis. You will ensure the safe transport of vulnerable adults and school children with special needs.
You will provide a safe, secure and happy environment for passengers, while in transit between destinations. You will also ensure that the passengers safely board and alight from the vehicles and that they are delivered to their venue in a safe way.
Your day-to-day tasks will include:
- Interpreting situations and events as they arise to solve straightforward problems concerning the wellbeing of the passenger or smooth running of the journey.
- Fastening seat belts.
- Attaching booster seats and ensure that passengers are properly seated.
- Working in conjunction with the driver and any other passenger assistants in the vehicle.
- Ensuring that all equipment, such as wheelchairs, are carefully stowed and secured when in transit.
- Working collaboratively and convey messages between the school and the pupil's parents about their health and wellbeing.
Experience and Skills
- Very good communication skills, in order to communicate effectively with adults and children with special needs, their carers, family members and teachers.
- High levels of patience and sensitivity, able to deal effectively with adults and children with either medical or behavioural needs, calmly and with care for their wellbeing.
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills.
- Able to understand and communicate in basic non-verbal signals -such as an adult unable to speak pointing to something they want.
- A basic understanding of Makaton in order to communicate with those passengers with learning difficulties.
Qualifications and/or experience:
- Previous experience working with, or caring for, children or adults, in some capacity, including voluntary work, paid work or through family commitments.
- Knowledge of how to operate and secure items such as booster seats, wheel chairs and similar devices.
- Basic first aid training.
Rewards and Benefits
In addition to working within a great team and a brilliant opportunity you will receive:
- A competitive pay.
- Training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- A range of discounts (Including Samsung, Argos, Wickes, TUI, Deliveroo and Asos).
- Discounted membership at selected local sports and fitness centres.
- A range of commuting and business travel discount and initiatives.
For a full list of the benefits offered to you as a West Sussex County Council employee, go to our Rewards and Benefits page.
The reference number for this role is EIE00875 .
For an informal conversation or for further information regarding the role, please visit our featured School transport jobssite. For issues or queries regarding your application please contact .
Struggling to apply? Book onto a Computer Buddy Session in a library near you to get help navigating our application form.
To apply, upload your CV and complete the application explaining the skills and experience you can bring to the role ensuring that any gaps in employment are covered in your CV.
Please ensure you have saved the job description attached to the main advert on our website as, once the job has closed, you may not have the opportunity to download again.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check, satisfactory references and health check.
West Sussex County Council is an equal opportunities employer committed to promoting an environment that is inclusive and free from all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination and values the diversity of its people. We actively welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and take every possible step to ensure that no individual will be disadvantaged.
For information regarding your eligibility to apply for this role under our Disability or Veteran's Guaranteed Interview Scheme, this can be found on our application help page.
Note for Recruitment Agencies: We prefer to hire people directly, but we do have a supplier list for when we need a helping hand. We'll be in touch directly if we need you!
For resourcing reference only